Skip To Main Content

Life Event Changes

During the plan year, you can change your benefit coverage if a qualified life event affects you or your dependents' eligibility under WAWM SD insurance plans. If you're eligible to make coverage changes, the changes must be consistent based on the qualified event.
You have 30 calendar days from the date of your qualifying life event to make your changes. If you miss this timeframe, your next opportunity to make changes is the annual Open Enrollment period (November 1-15). Required documentation must be provided to Employee Benefits.

Qualifying life events include:

Your legal marital status changes
  • Marriage
  • Divorce, legal separation, or annulment
  • Death of your spouse
The number of your eligible children changes
  • Birth or adoption of a child
  • Child gains or loses eligibility for coverage under the plan
  • Death of a child
Your benefits eligibility changes because of
  • Taking or returning from a leave of absence
  • A change in work schedule or status that causes you to gain or lose eligibility
Your family member's benefits eligibility changes
  • A change in work schedule or status that causes him or her to gain or lose eligibility
  • He/she gains a benefit option or loses coverage
  • He/she makes new coverage choices during his or her employer's annual enrollment
  • Your or your family member's COBRA coverage from another employer expires
How do I make changes to my insurance?
You must email Employee Benefits with the following:
Once your documentation is reviewed, a Life Event will be opened on the benefits enrollment site. You must then log in to actively make your new elections after receiving an approval email from Employee Benefits. Elections must be made within 30 days after the date of the event. 
Other items to consider updating:
  • Address Change/Phone Number Change
    • To make changes to your address and/or phone number use Skyward Finance
    • To change your Legal Name contact payroll.  
  • State and Federal Tax Withholding
  • WRS and Life Insurance Beneficiaries
    • Return the form to WRS (address is on the top left hand corner)
  • Life Insurance 
    • Return original to Employee Benefits (must have wet signature)