Skip To Main Content

Students in Housing Transition

If your family lives in a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground; on the street; in an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodations, or doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing, then your school-aged and younger children have certain rights under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Act.

These rights include the following:
-Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there.
-Continue in the school they attended before you became homeless or the school they last attended, if that is your choice and is feasible.
-Receive transportation to the school they attended before your family became homeless or the school they last attended, if you or a guardian requests such transportation.
-Attend a school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless.
-Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.
-Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
-Enroll and attend classes in the school of your choice even while the school and you seek to resolve a dispute over enrolling your children.
-Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children served in these programs.
-Receive transportation to school and to school programs.

For more information contact Sara Helminger, Students in Transition Coordinator at 414-604-3429.

If you need further assistance, contact: The National Center for Homeless Education Help Line Recruiter Access to Students/Records 1-800-308-2145.